setting

AVFD_works: DESIGN DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENTS

DESIGN DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENTS

Reading Comment

DESIGN DEVELOPMENT ENVRONMENTS by Daniel Shodek


This chapter shows us how design environments with parametric model and feature based design have change our way to conceive architecture. Nowadays, we have the possibility to create and study forms which were very difficult to understand not many years ago. I considered very interesting when Schodek made an analysis of the surfaces curvatures because he implicitly highline the importance of understand geometry.  I think that today one lack in architecture is the incapability of understand simple forms and intersections without a computer. I realized the importance of computer aided design and all the advantage that give us but new generations of architects seem lobotomized by the computers being incapable of add 2 plus 2.  It was very impressive how Schodek reached to engage descriptive geometry with the creation of diverse curve surfaces.

This reading also provided me a vocabulary index for the design environment. Some of the terminologies I already knew, for some of them I was able to correct my concepts and other ones I just learn.  It is incredible how our language has changed in the last decade and with that our approach to architecture. Programs have evolved giving us the possibility to control the relations in the design and the capability of infinite research of the space. I understand  that the parent and child relationship is so powerful if you know how to use it  well. I was trying to explore this relationship in the last few days. With a few tools I just try to create relations that allow me to have a control of the project and study the different possibility with a few clicks.

The last part of the chapter talk about the possibility of testing elements which made me think about the path that we are following. In these days, I can see how this programs can help in the relations between different disciplines, making the dialog more fluent. Architects are the coordinators and these kind of programs are becoming our main tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © AVFD_works Urang-kurai